Ravalli County Septic Regulations | Effective July 1, 2021
If the property description does not match thet septic permit, systems are deemed NON-CONFORMING
A septic system is determined by the number of bedrooms in a home and designed to meet the anticipated capacity listed on the permit.
Non-conforming systems are considered FAILED may not be lawfully used or altered unless granted a variance or otherwise remedied.
Reasons the Ravalli County Department of Environmental Health may review permitting for any system:
- Property listed and advertised for sale
- After sale to inform the new owner
- Owner request
- Interested buyers’ request
- Complaints made to environmental Health
- Tax assessor shows property changes
- Septic is a wastewater treatment system.
- The July 1, 2021 Regulations apply to septic systems installed on or after December 31, 1982.
- Any room for the primary purpose of sleeping is considered a BEDROOM.
- An unfinished basement is considered a bedroom.
- Increased Use is considered any change or enlargement that would increase effluent flow. I.E. Adding bedrooms, building additions, connecting occupied buildings, etc.
- A property description of bedrooms matches the number of bedrooms on the existing permit is considered a CONFORMING SYSTEM.
- A NON-CONFORMING system may not be lawfully used or altered unless granted a variance or otherwise remedied.